Saturday, January 22, 2011

Breakfast dessert

I decided that to drive 20 minutes through a snow storm to pick up dessert...after breakfast that is! I have been wanting to try the cupcakes from the new Flour Shoppe at 617 Bank Street. Was my trip worth it?...YES! If you've never been to New York City to see a "cupcakery" to have an oh my gosh feeling inside that screams "I MUST INDULGE IN ONE OF THOSE CUPCAKES" then you must visit this place.



Not your ordinary cupcakes!
The Flour Shoppe brought back that childhood memory of watching my mom beautifully decorate cupcakes for my birthday. The sponge like cake inside of each paper wrapper topped with frosting of any flavour or colour made each birthday special. That is exactly the same feeling I had when I walked out of this place with a box filled with 6 of my very own special cupcakes!

Cupcakes here are not like the store bought boxed Betty Crocker kind. The Flour Shoppe's cupcakes are much more flavourful and dense cakes that come topped with a variety of icings. Their flavours change daily and are listed on their website. I visited on a Saturday. You can sit in or take out your cupcakes and 6 cost about $14. I chose...Chocolate Peanut Butter, Chocolate Peanut Butter (ha ha I needed 2), Chipotle, Earl Grey (my favourite), Strawberry (another favourite) and Coconut.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake

I love anything with Chocolate and Peanut Butter so for me this cupcake was in the top 3. It was a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter icing topped with a chocolate covered peanut!


Early Grey Cupcake

The Earl Grey cupcake was also amazing! The frosting was a light lemon flavour and the cupcake itself had a faint early grey smell and taste to it. 
It was very good!





Who knew something so simple as a cupcake could turn someone's passion into a quant little shoppe in the popular Glebe area of Ottawa.  My cupcake choices were based on both recommendations and my love for PB and chocolate, but I encourage you to try something you never would normally go for in a cupcake flavour. Although I am a pretty avid baker I still enjoyed this experience and pose the question "let's do cupcakes...tomorrow?"

No comments:

Post a Comment